Monday, February 29, 2016

March is for postmortems

My usual week of Oscar night cataloging will have to stretch out into more of a post-mortem month.

We'll start by examining the winners as soon as possible (within the week). Lots to discuss here. Some good, some bad, and one bona fide craft category shocker that I still can't wrap my head around. But for the moment, let me just keep a positive footing by saying I can't remember the last time I was this excited about the outcome of Best Picture.

The right choice.

As for the show itself, that's going to take a fair bit of marination and probing to properly assess. On the whole I enjoyed it, but sporadically so. There were a lot of distinct hits and misses, with host Chris Rock falling into both categories.

And once I've allowed all that dust to settle, I'll sign off on my annual list of personal highlights and pet peeves from the Oscar season, one that I thought would be worth forgetting until Spotlight's eleventh-hour triumph. Now I consider it one for the ages (how's that for bias)! By the time I get around to those pieces, it'll be time to start speculating on next year's derby -- if you haven't already started -- which already has a prime candidate in Nate Parker's Sundance sensation Birth of a Nation.

So stay tuned. Still plenty more from me in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment