Sunday, February 21, 2016

Awards-Nazi Awards: Animated Feature

I'm nearing the end of my personal nominations, and today I post my picks for the specialty categories of Foreign, Documentary and Animated Features. Inevitably, there's a fair bit of overlap with AMPAS, as I never get around to catching much more than what's up for the Oscar in these niche arenas.
So, you know, subject to change and all that.

Here are my top options for Best Animated Feature:

ANOMALISA
(Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson)
A living diorama on individuality and loneliness. If only more American animation houses could embrace the notion of cartoons for adults. We might get singular, daring auteur productions like this more often.

BOY AND THE WORLD
(AlĂȘ Abreu, Fernanda Carvalho, Tita Tessler)
Animation hardly seems like the medium for a charged social message movie, and yet it's impossible to imagine this ingenious abstract odyssey being done any other way. An explosion of social conscious via colour and sound.

INSIDE OUT
(Pete Docter, Ronnie Del Carmen)
Pixar's most ambitious concept to date, and also among it's greatest triumphs, creating a marvelously imaginative world that could only ever be achieved through animation. An arguable masterpiece.

THE PEANUTS MOVIE
(Steve Martino, Bryan Schulz, Craig Schulz)
Blue Sky's finest effort to date turned out to be exactly the sort of movie I hoped it would be; Modest but utterly disarming, speaking to kids at their own level without leaning on immature foolishness.

WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE
(Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Yoshiaki Nishimura)
If you can stand a bit of emo-ness and a couple of gentle mind-fucks, you'll find that this is a nice little movie, sumptuously inked and scored as all Ghibli efforts are. The sensitivity is felt in every frame.

Other considerations:
The Good Dinosaur (Peter Sohn, Denise Ream)
Shaun the Sheep Movie (Mark Butron, Richard Starzack)

2 comments:

  1. Great choices. I would boot out Boy and the World for The Good Dinosaur for my picks, but other than that excellent choices. Animated Feature is arguably my favourite category because I love animation very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was somewhat sad The Peanuts Movie wasn't nominated. Maybe it has some slight personal bias for me, but being a Peanuts fan, it was a very charming movie. Plus, I think they introduced a new kind of animation technique for 3D animation that I hope other studios will try to venture into.

    ReplyDelete