Monday, January 26, 2015

Awards-Nazi Award Nominations: Best Makeup and Hair

For as long as I've been compiling my own personal Oscar ballots (feels like I've been at it since infancy), I've stubbornly limited myself to three nominees for Best Makeup and Hairstyling. I suppose it grew out of mimicking the Academy at first, but now it doesn't seem to make sense that it's the only category with such a restrictive number of contestants. If you ever read Nate Rogers at The Film Experience -- which of course you do, because what Oscar-loving film buff doesn't? -- you know what I'm talking about. For years he's made very a logical argument for why the makeup branch should finally get with the times and expand its field to five nominees.

So I'm taking a page out of that book and expanding my own field to reflect the rest of the Awards-Nazi Awards -- five per category. Maybe if I'm bored one day, I'll even go back in time and retroactively add a couple of deserving hair+makeup efforts to my nominees from years past (though the boredom would have to be tremendous). But for now, peruse the best of what 2014 had to offer:

The Grand Budapest Hotel
(Frances Hannon, Mark Coulier)
For whatever reason, I totally slept on the brilliance of all the makeup and hair in this film the first time I saw it (perhaps I was too busy enjoying the sets and costumes), but it totally deserves a retroactive nomination.

Guardians of the Galaxy
(David White, Elizabeth Yianni-Georgiou)
The makeup team clearly had a heyday creating all those bizarre extra-terrestrial faces. Those bevelled tattoo's on Drax the Destroyer are particularly impressive.

Snowpiercer (Jeremy Woodhead)
The grisly wound/injury work and general dishevelment are all expertly realized, but the main draw is Tilda Swinton's bizarre transformation into the haughty magistrate Mason.

The Theory of Everything (Jan Sewell)
Sewell's ultrafine prosthetics invisibly age Redmayne across decades with great restraint and subtlety, so as not to hinder or overshadow his performance.

Unbroken
(Toni G, Arjen Tuiten, Rick Findlater)
Jack O'Connell's face takes a bruising in just about every scene following the plane crash, weathered by weeks lost at sea and then battered in a POW camp and then blackened in a coal mine.

The film is constantly flashing back to earlier stages of Cheryl's life, for each of which she needs a distinctive look so the audience doesn't get lost in the jumpy chronology.



Just missed:
Foxcatcher (Bill Corso, Kathrine Gordon)
Inherent Vice (Miia Kovero, Gigi Williams)Maleficent (Paul Gooch, Rick Baker)
Mr. Turner (Christine Blundell)
Wild (Robin Mathews, Miia Kortum)

5 comments:

  1. I'm sticking with 3. Best Makeup:

    Foxcatcher
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Theory of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad to see you including five nominees; it's what I've been doing too for the Silver Sleuths. It's a shame, I think, to limit this category unlike any others. Lots of good crossovers, here are my nominees to compare!

    https://gonewiththewinawards.wordpress.com/2015/01/23/2015-silver-sleuth-nominations-suspects-in-best-makeup-and-hair-design/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was 'Into the Woods' just a bit too much for your personal taste, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If by "a bit too much for your personal taste" you mean "not that good", then....... Yeah.

      Delete
    2. Well, um, no, I mean much.

      Some might have found Depp's wolf makeup a little strange, but the film emphasizes more hairstyles that allude to a certain period. I thought Peter King did an appropriate job. To be sure, you really do have fine set. Definitely check out my nominees.

      Delete