Monday, December 15, 2014

Seven finalists advance to Best Makeup and Hairstyling bakeoff

The makeup branch of the Academy has announced its seven finalists that will advance to the bake-off stage, from which three Oscar nominees will be chosen:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Foxcatcher
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Guardians of the Galaxy
Maleficent
Noah
The Theory of Everything

The only semi-surprising snub is Into the Woods (sight-unseen, I'm not in a position to judge whether this is a travesty of justice or justice being served), but most of the surviving contenders are hardly unexpected. Although I guess not many people would've seen Spider-Man 2 coming.

At any rate, my prediction right now is that if Guardians of the Galaxy gets nominated, it wins. It's prosthetic alien designs are far and away the most upfront and in-your-face of the seven finalists. Add to the fact that it's a widely seen box office uber-success, and this seems like the natural place for Academy members to reward it (a la Star Trek).

That said, I can tell you I'm rooting for The Theory of Everything all the way. Much like last year's winner Dallas Buyers Club, it makes an asset of its invisibility, gracefully aging its characters across decades without ever drawing attention away from the performers. (Speaking of Dallas Buyers Club, I was hoping Robin Mathews would be back in the hunt this year for Wild, but you can't win 'em all.)

4 comments:

  1. I'm not actually a fan of it, but I am rooting for Maleficent only because it'll give legend Rick Baker another nomination! But yeah, I have doubts about Guardians of the Galaxy making it, doesn't seem like a film that the Academy would like and I think it'll only get VFX on nomination morning, but I have been notoriously wrong before.

    And although The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, Electro's makeup design was actually really good. I can see how they can put it in the shortlist. I am hoping that this doesn't get nominated, however, because I wasn't an overall fan of the film, same goes for Noah.

    My predictions

    -Foxcatcher
    -The Grand Budapest Hotel
    -Maleficent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Rick Baker as much as the next man, but he needs another nomination like he needs a whole in the head; Amply rewarded for a legendary career already. Seeing superfluous nominations tacked on for inferior work would only bug me.

      Delete
    2. Duly noted. And while I do agree with you that Maleficent wasn't all that special, I still believe that it has a bit of an edge with being nominated.

      Delete
  2. I'm really tempted to predict 'Noah' or 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' since the Academy has had quite a track record with nominating a movie with some degree of makeup that wasn't all that good. Both apply, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete