Friday, December 5, 2014

Biblical epics and a fairy tale musical missing from summer-heavy VFX shortlist

The 10 semi-finalists for the Best Visual Effects Oscar have been announced, and most of the usual suspects are present. Of those ten moving on, seven of them are summer blockbusters, every one of them a sequel or reboot (woe to original filmmaking).

Of course, the one wholly original film on the shortlist is probably the most likely to win; That'd be Christopher Nolan's Interstellar.
The most notable omissions are Into the Woods, Exodus: Gods and Kings, and Noah, all three of which seemed like viable spoilers. Well, not anymore.

My favourite inclusion may just be Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Unlike every other finalist, its effects are far more grounded in the service of good old fashioned action staging. I don't expect it to get nominated, but I didn't expect to even get this far. Good on it!

Here are the ten:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Godzilla
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Interstellar
Maleficent
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
Transformers: Age of Extinction
X-Men: Days of Future Past

5 comments:

  1. Well I can tell you who will most likely NOT be nominated being Night at the Museum 3 (but the other Shawn Levy film Real Steel made it in as a shocker, which leaves me a little scared). But yeah, for a while now I had the same 5 picks, being Dawn, Godzilla, Guardians, Hobbit and Interstellar for a while now, and I am glad to see that that might come to full fruition. Can I actually get all five nominations in one category CORRECT for the first time ever! lol JK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interstellar and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are in for a showdown. Do you really think Planets deserves this more Interstellar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to choose, since they're both such distinct and significant achievements, but yeah, if I had a ballot I'd give my vote to 'Apes'.

      Delete
    2. So why would "Apes' get the edge?

      Delete
    3. I suppose it comes down to what one personally finds more impressive: Effects that are so imaginative that they inspire awe and wonder, or effects that are so realistic that you start to forget they're effects at all.

      The cosmic beauty of 'Interstellar' is amazing, but I'm personally more amazed at how effectively 'Apes' gets me to buy into its premise, until I stop thinking of the apes as illusions, but as characters inhabiting the same real space as the human characters.

      Delete