Saturday, February 1, 2014

WGA winners!

While the Annies drag on, I have more than enough time to mention that the Writers Guild of America have awarded Her, Captain Phillips, and Stories We Tell in their feature film categories. This is an odd scenario in that I can see none of these winners repeating on Oscar night.

That goes wothout saying for Stories We Tell, which was robbed of an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary, but I couldn't be happier for Sarah Polley! She so deserved this, and it may go down as my favourite guild decision of the year.

For Original Screenplay, I still find myself leaning towards American Hustle taking the Oscar. Can a movie that popular really go home empty-handed? It doesn't look like it'll win any other categories, but that happened to True Grit just a few years ago.

In Adapted, 12 Years a Slave is still the favourite, and was ineligible here, so this is a nice consolation prize for Billy Ray. Dude is tremendously well respected and for good reason. Happy for him.

1 comment: