Sunday, February 17, 2013

Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Sugar Man win WGA

Argo continued its domination of the guild circuit with a victory tonight at the Writers Guild of America Awards. It seems more and more that Argo was always destined to be this year's Best Picture champ, even without a Best Director nod. It can probably add Best Adapted Screenplay to what might be a relatively modest trophy haul next Sunday night.

Another expected win came for Searching for Sugar Man in the Documentary category, continuing its unmolested march to the Oscar. I'm so over this movie. I hate to say this of a film that I liked, but it's definitely the most overrated film of the year.
The only smidgen of intrigue around the WGA Awards was which film they would choose for Best Original Screenplay. It ended up going to Zero Dark Thirty, the only Best Picture nominee cited by the WGA in this category, so it wasn't much of a surprise. This Oscar category has me pulling my hair out. Amour, Django Unchained, or Zero Dark Thirty? A reasonable case can be made for any of them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing Amour for Oscar. Django and ZDT are both popular or controversial depending on who you ask, so I predict a massive vote split.

    But if I've been a good boy this year, Santa will let Moonrise Kingdom win like I asked.

    ReplyDelete