Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Review - The Tourist

Has you can see, in the absence of proper awards contenders yet to be released north of 49, I've become quite desperate for something to see during my weekend movie-going. This is, of course, a problem for me, so how fitting it is that I should wind up sitting down for The Tourist, which also has problems.

The biggest problem I had with it is that it had the potential to be good. The story reminded me of the sort of movie that Alfred Hitchcock would have made, complete with cases of mistaken identity and a clueless everyman caught up in a whirlwind of espionage and intrigue. Only this movie has no intrigue. No suspense. No action (actually, there is action, it's just no good). It fills the void left by those things with a ubiquitous musical score that just won't go away! The film is simply content to be a movie about beautiful people wearing beautiful clothes in beautiful Venice, Italy, and tries to make amends by throwing in a twist ending that basically holds no credibility.

Look what you've reduced me to, distributors! How about throwing The King's Speech or Black Swan my way? Let me give you my business!

*1/2 out of ****

2 comments:

  1. I bet you weren't happy by the nominations it got for the Golden Globes! I know I wasn't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were a joke, and not even the funny kind.

    ReplyDelete