Friday, November 12, 2010

Review - Catfish

Catfish is an enthralling documentary, one that examines our human desire to connect to others and escape our real lives, by telling a bizarre story about an on-line relationship.

Lest I should spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it, I'll forgo a description of the narrative and skip right to what I think, which is that Catfish is a great movie. At first I found myself somewhat skeptical about whether or not it was real or a hoax, but I soon found that I didn't care about that so much because I was so caught up in the story, eagerly awaiting each new twist with excited anticipation. By the time all the key discoveries have been made, the film settles into a nice contemplative pace, allowing us and the its subjects about to think about all that's happened, and how it captures what our society (or more specifically, the people in it) is all about.

Directors Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost would earn an Oscar nom for Best Documentary in a perfect world, but I don't suspect the Documentary branch will cuddle up to this one. It doesn't give off that vibe of “importance”, and I must admit, looks a tad amateurish on an aesthetic level.

*** out of ****

No comments:

Post a Comment